These roasted oyster mushrooms are a delicious, hearty side or topper for any main meal - serve them on a delicious pasta, add them to tacos, or just as a standalone side.
The post contains helpful tips and tricks to make sure you're successful in your first attempt. But if you're in a rush, please use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end!
💭 Why you'll love this recipe
- Delicious vegan, gluten-free side that's ready in 30 minutes! It also needs four simple ingredients but is packed with flavor!
- Comes with many health benefits! Oyster mushrooms have immune supporting properties, as demonstrated by several studies.
- Super versatile - great as a taco, pasta, and sandwich topper, or as a standalone side that pairs well with many great main dishes!
📋 Ingredients and notes
To make this recipe, you'll need oyster mushrooms, avocado oil, salt and pepper!
📖 Step-by-step instructions
- Detach the oyster mushrooms from base and cut into individual pieces.
- Then, rinse them gently under running water and then use a paper towel or a kitchen towel to dry them out as best as possible. Press them gently with a towel and sit covered in a towel for a few minutes.
- Toss the oyster mushrooms with avocado oil, salt, and pepper and then lay them out in a flat layer on either a baking sheet (if using the oven) or an air-fryer tray or basket (if using an air fryer)
- If you're using an oven, roast at 425F for 10 minutes, then flip them over, and roast for another 10 minutes. If using an air fryer, roast at 360F for 10 minutes, and then flip and roast again for 10 minutes.
🍴 Serving and storage suggestions
These oyster mushrooms are an excellent, healthy side and also a great topper for sandwiches, tacos, pasta, or even a hearty salad!
- Use them in these cauliflower tacos or fried avocado tacos
- Add them to a spring pesto pasta or even cacio e pepe for umami
- Throw them on this shaved Brussels sprouts Caesar salad
If you like this recipe, check out these healthy-ish, versatile sides
Roasted Oyster Mushrooms (Air Fryer or Oven!)
- ½ lb oyster mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the stem end of half a pound of oyster mushrooms. Separate them into bite-sized individual pieces. Wash them under running water quickly and then dry them thoroughly using a kitchen towel.
- Preheat the oven to 360°F or the air-fryer to 425°F
- Add oyster mushrooms to a mixing bowl along with one tablespoon of avocado oil, one teaspoon of salt, and half a teaspoon of black pepper. Use your hands or tongs to coat them properly. Then, transfer to air fryer tray or basket, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Air Fryer: If air-frying, roast at 400°F for 10 minutes, then flip the mushrooms, and roast again for another 5 to 10 minutes, checking after the 5 minute interval to ensure optimal crispness!
- Baking: If using an oven, roast the oyster mushrooms at 360°F for 10 minutes. Then, flip, and roast for another 5 to 15 minutes. After the 5th minute, check in 3 minute intervals to ensure optimal crispness. It took me 25 minutes for my oyster mushrooms to be fully roasted.
- Enjoy as-is, or garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice, parsely and/or hard cheese of your choice!
- Air-fryer and oven timings provided as a reference point. However, each individual oven and air-fryer can be quite different (as will the sizes of the mushrooms and shallot slices) - so please check in reasonable increments to make sure you're getting to the right level of roasting!
- You can use any mushroom in the recipe if oyster mushrooms aren't available, just make sure to watch oven or air fryer for browning (since times can be different!)