These hasselback potatoes are crispy, golden, sliced thinly and seasoned with your favorite herbs and spices. They're crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, making them a crowd-pleaser for any meal. Ready in under an hour, this is an impressive side dish perfect for dinner parties!
This post contains helpful tips and tricks! If you're in a rush, please use the "Jump to Recipe" below!
💭 The best way to make hasselback potatoes!
- Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. These air-fried hasselback potatoes are crunchy on the outside and soft and creamy on the inside.
- Healthier alternative. These are a healthier alternative to traditional fried potatoes since they're made in an air fryer with minimal oil.
- Ready in no time. These potatoes only take about 40 minutes to cook in the air fryer, giving you more time to cook other dishes to serve for your weekday meal, dinner party, or other special occasions.
📋 Ingredients and notes
To make these vegan hasselback potatoes, you'll need large potatoes, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, olive oil, and parsley for garnish.
Notes and Variations
- Potatoes. The best potatoes for this recipe are Russet potatoes given their starch content and ability to hold shape. But you can try Yukon gold potatoes, small red potatoes, Idaho potatoes, or even sweet potatoes. Make sure to adjust cook time and know that textures will be different.
- Fresh herbs. To elevate the flavor of your air-fried hasselback potatoes, add herb butter, chives, paprika, or fresh parsley.
- Olive oil. You can substitute olive oil with vegetable oil or melted vegan butter.
- Toppings. Take your hasselback potatoes to the next level by adding your favorite toppings like garlic butter, sour cream, salsa, or even melted cheese.
📖 How to make hasselback potatoes
Slice the potatoes to create slits between them, but leave the bottom of the potatoes untouched.
To make slits in the potato easier, place it between two parallel chopsticks or two wooden spatulas on a cutting board. You can use them to guide you on where to stop cutting the potatoes.
Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and bake for 5 minutes in the air fryer at 350°F. Then, brush the potatoes with oil. Sprinkle the onion powder, garlic powder, and salt on the potatoes.
Bake for another 15 minutes and brush the bottom of the potato and top with infused oil again, then continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
After the potatoes are fully cooked, transfer potatoes to the serving plate. Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top and serve while hot.
👩🏽🍳 Tips for the best hasselback potatoes
To whip up perfect hasselback potatoes, keep these tips in mind.
⭐ Cut the spuds as evenly as you can. Use two chopsticks as a guide on top and bottom, and leave a thin layer at the bottom. Use a sharp knife to slice your potatoes in thin slices to ensure even cooking. Consistent cuts help absorb flavors and cook the potatoes uniformly in an air fryer. The thinner the potato slices, the crispier and crunchier your potatoes will be.
- Wash the potatoes well. Make sure to wash the potatoes well to get rid of any dirt and excess starch, since you'll be eating the skin.
- Pre-soak in water. Soak sliced potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes before cooking to remove excess starch. This enhances crispiness during air frying.
- Season well, in between the cuts. Hasselback potatoes are all about the seasoning! Use salt and pepper, and experiment with garlic powder, paprika, fresh thyme, or rosemary and make sure to get them in the crevices.
- Watch the cooking time. Check the potatoes every 5-10 minutes to ensure they don't burn or overcook. The exact cook time will depend on the size and thickness of your potatoes and your air fryer. Once they're golden brown and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, they're ready to serve.
👩🏽🍳 Troubleshooting FAQs
Just pop them in the air fryer at 250°F until they're warmed through. You can also reheat them in the microwave, but you won't get that same crispy texture from air frying them.
Yes! You can expect the air fryer to cook them in 40 minutes, depending on their size. Plus, the air fryer adds crispy edges that you won't get with baking.
You don't need to peel the potatoes! If you prefer a smoother texture, peel them. If not, simply leave the skin intact and enjoy these delicious potatoes with a crunchy outer edge.
🍴 What to serve with hasselback potatoes
These vegan hasselback potatoes are delicious when paired with a dollop of sour cream (non-dairy) and a sprinkle of parsley on top. This is the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sunday roast, cookouts, and dinner parties.
🍴 Storage and reheating instructions
To store leftovers, place them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for up to three months. When you're ready to enjoy them again, simply reheat the potatoes in your air fryer for about 7 minutes, and they'll be just as crispy and tasty as the first time around.
🍴 Other awesome potato recipes
If you're looking for more delicious recipes featuring spuds, look no further for my favorite recipes.
Easy Hasselback Potatoes
- 4 potatoes, large, Russet preferred
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- Slice the potatoes to create slits between them, but leave the bottom of the potatoes untouched. To make slits in the potato easier, place it between two parallel chopsticks or two wooden spatulas. You can use them to guide you on where to stop cutting the potatoes.
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F or oven to 425℉.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket and bake for 5 minutes.
- Then, brush the potatoes with oil. Sprinkle the onion powder, garlic powder, and salt on the potatoes.
- Bake for another 15 minutes and brush the bottom and top with infused oil again, then continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- Place the seasoned potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-55 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp on the edges.
- To check if they're done, insert a knife into the center of the potatoes. It should go through easily, indicating that the potatoes are tender. After the potatoes are fully cooked, transfer them to the serving plate.
- Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top and serve hot!
- Slice evenly: Ensure uniform thickness for even cooking.
- Pre-soak slices in water, if possible, for 30 mins, then pat dry. This will help remove excess starch and make them even crispier.
- Season in the crevices. It's important to get the seasoning in between the cuts of the potatoes so you can enjoy every bite!