Microwave spaghetti squash is perfect for quick and hassle free cooking. This easy 15 minute recipe will give you tender and flavorful spaghetti squash each time, perfect for busy weeknights and nutritious meals. I have also included tips and tricks to cook it just right.
This post contains helpful tips and tricks! If you're in a rush, please use the "Jump to Recipe" below!
💭 Why use the microwave for spaghetti squash
- Easy and effortless. No need to preheat the oven or air fryer to bake.
- Time saving technique. Baking spaghetti squash takes ~40 minutes, but microwaving needs less than 15 minutes!
- Get soft spaghetti-like strands every time, the perfect low carb pasta alternative to use with your favorite pasta sauce!
📋 Ingredients and notes
To make microwave spaghetti squash, you'll need spaghetti squash, salt, and pepper. You'll also need a fork for poking holes, and a sharp knife!
Variations & Substitutions
- The size of the squash will affect the cooking time of your microwave oven. Opt for a smaller spaghetti squash if you're short on time, as they generally cook faster than larger ones.
- Season with herbs and spices like garlic powder, thyme, oregano, or even add melted butter!
- Use a fork to fluff and separate the strands while they're still warm for the best "spaghetti" texture.
📖 How to make microwave spaghetti squash
Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Season with salt and pepper lightly.
Place both halves in a microwave-safe plate, cut side down. If both halves don't fit in your microwave plate, cook them separately.
Microwave on high for 7-12 minutes or until fork-tender. The time will vary depending on the size of your squash.
Let it cool, then scrape the squash into strands.
👩🏽🍳 Tips for the best microwave spaghetti squash
⭐ Pro Tip: To avoid uneven cooking, make sure the halves are placed cut sides facing down in the microwave-safe dish, promoting consistent results.
- For added convenience, cover the microwave-safe dish with a microwave-safe lid or microwave-safe plastic wrap to help trap the steam and speed up the cooking process.
- Drizzle the flesh of the squash with a little bit of olive oil or a little butter for a golden, crisp edge.
- Let the squash stand for at least five minutes to finish cooking.
👩🏽🍳 Troubleshooting FAQs
To make it easier to cut spaghetti squash, poke holes in the spaghetti squash skin using a fork or a sharp pairing knife. Cook the whole squash on high for 4 minutes in the microwave. Remove the squash and let it rest for a minute or two. With a chef’s knife, slice it lengthwise from top to bottom, right down the middle.
Spaghetti squash has a very mild, slightly sweet flavor, making it the perfect base for your favorite pasta sauce. It has a firm yet tender texture.
While microwaved spaghetti squash might be less flavorful than roasted spaghetti squash, it will have a similar texture and a milder flavor. It's a very convenient method that takes less time than when you cook it in the oven.
Since spaghetti squash seeds are edible and can be very delicious when cooked, you can save them to roast or bake for later.
🍴 How to serve spaghetti squash
There are many different ways to serve spaghetti squash.
- Top it with your favorite marinara sauce, pesto sauce, or creamy Alfredo sauce!
- Season it with garlic butter and parmesan for a simple yet taste dish.
- Make stuffed spaghetti squash with your favorite vegetables and top it with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Make spaghetti squash lasagna or better yet, make lasagna boats!
- Whip up a hearty and delicious spaghetti squash soup.
🍴Storage and reheating suggestions
Store the squash halves or strands in an airtight container and place them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To freeze, make sure the squash has completely cooled to room temperature. Place it in a freezer bag and store in the freezer for the cooked spaghetti squash for 8-12 months. When ready to serve, thaw it in the fridge overnight.
You can also reheat the strands of squash in the in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly warm.
🍴 More delicious spaghetti squash recipes
If you like this recipe, check out my other favorite spaghetti squash recipes:
- Spaghetti squash lasagna
- Spaghetti squash soup
- Stuffed spaghetti squash
- Spaghetti squash casserole
- Bonus tips on how to cut spaghetti squash or cook it in the oven, air fryer, or slow cooker.
Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Microwave
- 1 Spaghetti squash
- ½ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, adjust to taste
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Season with salt and pepper lightly.
- Place both halves in a microwave-safe dish, cut side down. If both halves don't fit in your microwave plate, cook them separately.
- Microwave on high for 7-12 minutes or until fork-tender. The time will vary depending on the size of your squash.
- Let it cool, then scrape the squash into strands. Serve in your favorite way!
- Ensure even cooking by placing squash halves cut sides down in a microwave-safe dish and cover with a microwave-safe lid or wrap to trap steam. This will help speed up the cooking process.
- Take care while cutting the squash, and use a sharp knife.
- Enhance flavor with a drizzle of olive oil or butter for a golden, crisp edge.
- Allow squash to stand for at least five minutes to complete the cooking process.