Mangoes are my favorite spring/summertime fruit, and avocados are a year-round favorite. But when you put them together, they make for one killer mango avocado salad that everyone will love!
The post contains helpful tips and tricks to make sure you're successful in your first attempt. But if you're in a rush, please use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end!
💭 Why you'll love this recipe
- Refreshing and convenient. This mango avocado salad comes together in 15 minutes and uses simple ingredients but with maximum flavor!
- Healthy & nutritious. Mango isn't called the king of fruits for nothing. It has a bunch of nutrients that aid immunity, iron absorption. Avocados provide healthy fat, while other components enhance flavors.
- Perfect for the summer and customizable. This salad is a great side salad for any summer cookout or picnic. You can also customize it by adding other herbs, proteins, or vegetables. Don't forget to check out my refreshing Asian-inspired slaw and roasted beet salad too!
📋 Ingredients and notes
To make this recipe, you'll need mangoes, avocados, red onion, cherry tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper.
📖 Step-by-step instructions
Chop up the ingredients
I like to first chop up the mangoes, then the onions and cherry tomatoes, then the basil, and then finally the avocados to prevent browning.
- To slice the mangoes, slice around the center seed so you get two flesh portions. Then, slice them into a criss-cross pattern and invert the mango by pushing upwards into the skin. Then you can use a spoon to scoop off the cubes. For the flesh that surrounds the seed, use your knife carefully at an angle to slice off the flesh.
- Slice the onions into a small dice as you usually would, and cut the cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Rough chop the basil into small pieces and then finally, to slice the avocados, first slice in half and remove the seed. Then, scoop out the avocado using a spoon. Then chop into cubes.
Prepare vinaigrette and mix the salad!
Once all your ingredients are chopped up, place them neatly in a mixing bowl. Then, add lemon juice and zest, olive oil, salt and pepper to a mason jar and shake thoroughly. Add this to the mixing bowl.
Finally, toss the salad together using two large forks or salad serving utensils. Your mango avocado salad is ready - serve chilled if possible!
👩🏽🍳Top tips and FAQs
Squeeze the mangoes gently. If ripe, it'll give slightly. It's similar to how you might treat avocados as well - they get softer as they ripen.
You can either peel the mangoes first or keep the peel on and remove them at the end. Mangoes have a seed that runs through the center, so you basically slice around the edges. Then chop them into cubes. Check the post above for a visual guide!
To make this ahead of time, chop up the mango, onions, tomatoes, and basil and keep it in the fridge in separate containers. Then, right before serving, add them to a bowl, add avocado, and vinaigrette.
🍴 Serving and storage suggestions
You can store leftovers in the fridge for 2 to 3 days in an airtight container! I love serving this salad as a side to any BBQ main dish, or bringing it to picnics.
If you like this recipe, don't forget to try out my other salad recipes:
Mango Avocado Salad
- 1 mango, medium sized
- 2 avocados, medium sized
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Hold one mango upright and cut off slices on either side (feel for the center seed and cut around it). Then, remove the peel, and chop up the mangoes into small pieces. Scrap the mango flesh off the seeds using your knife and chop them into cubes.
- Dice half a red onion, and then chop up a cup of cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Slice two avocados in halves, remove the pit, and then scoop out the flesh. Then, cut them into even sized cubes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1½ teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, half a teaspoon of lemon zest, and some salt and pepper to a mason jar. Close the lid and shake until combined into a vinaigrette. You can also place it in a bowl and whisk it together.
- Place the cut avocados, mango, red onion, chopped basil, and cherry tomatoes in a mixing bowl and drizzle the vinaigrette. Toss to combine and serve chilled if possible.
- Use ripe avocados and mangoes if possible and dice them into even, bite-sized cubes. I also like slicing the avocados at the very end just to avoid browning.
- You can make this salad ahead of time and throw it in the fridge. If doing this, dress right before serving so you can avoid stuff getting super mushy!
- Sometimes, I like to add spinach and strawberries to this salad too! Great summertime salads all around.