It's asparagus season and the sun is out a lot these days - so I wanted to share this super simple grilled asparagus recipe that's ready in no time! Check out my produce guides to see what else is in season, and the spring recipes section for other springtime favorites!
This post contains helpful tips and tricks! If you're in a rush, please use the "Jump to Recipe" link!
This post might contain affiliate links. If you click on those and make a purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
💭 Why you'll love this recipe
- Five ingredient, under thirty minute recipe. Enough said!
- Great side for all your spring / summer BBQ needs. Asparagus is only really in season during this time of the year, so it's time to use them up!
- Healthy and nutritious. Asparagus is low in calories, and has many different types of nutrients - fiber, folate, and many vitamins!
📋 Ingredients and notes
You'll need asparagus, avocado oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice for this recipe. Easy peasy!
Notes and Variations
- Grilled asparagus marinade. If you want to marinate your asparagus beforehand, combine two tablespoons each of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil in a container. Add asparagus and refrigerate for an hour. Then, you can drain the asparagus, grill for about 5-8 minutes, and drizzle with marinade to get marinated grilled asparagus.
- Seasoning for asparagus. I typically prefer a really simple combination of salt, pepper and lemon juice - but you can also add parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes for some additional flavors!
📖 Step-by-step instructions
Prepare the asparagus
First, rinse the asparagus under cold water by allowing water to flow through the tips. Pat dry in a clean kitchen towel. Then, bend the asparagus towards the woody part or slice them off with a knife.
Season the asparagus / make foil packets
Preheat your grill to 400F. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the table. Place the asparagus in the foil, evenly spaced as one neat layer. Drizzle with avocado oil, then sprinkle salt and black pepper. Use your hands to coat them fully. Then, place another piece of foil on top and crimp each of the edges to form a foil packet. This will go on your grill!
Grill the asparagus and finish with lemon!
Place this foil packet directly on the grill and let it cook for 20 minutes. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and zest some lemon and enjoy!
Perfect, grilled asparagus is ready for all your summer BBQ needs!
👩🏽🍳Top tips and FAQs
Rinse the asparagus under cold water to remove dirt from the stalks and tips! Then towel dry to remove any extra moisture.
You'll want to remove the bottom woody part of the asparagus. You can do this by gently bending the asparagus near the woody edge, and it'll snap right off. Or you can line them up and chop them off with a sharp knife!
I prefer placing the foil packet directly on the flame - this takes about 20 minutes at 400F. If you place it on the veggie section above, it might take another 10 minutes. I prefer grilling on the flame since this gives the asparagus a charred flavor!
Yes! You can just place your foil packets in the oven at 400F for about 20-25 minutes, or at 425F for 15 minutes.
Yes. Ideally, you can use a griddle to mimic the grill, but it also works with a skillet. Heat the griddle or skillet on medium heat, follow all the same steps until seasoning, but place the asparagus directly on the griddle (no foil packets) and cook for 8-10 minutes. They're done when get some browning and go limp.
🍴 Serving and storage suggestions
You can store this in the fridge for a day or two and then reheat on the stove. However, I prefer making it fresh whenever possible since it just takes 25 minutes! If you're looking for a quicker way to prepare asparagus, check out my five minute steamed asparagus!
If you like this recipe, don't forget to try out my other spring recipes:
Did you make this recipe?! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Please leave a comment and a star rating and let me know how it went! We love hearing from you, thank you so much
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ lemon, juice and zest for garnish
- Preheat your grill to 400°F
- Wash the asparagus under cold water (with the tip side down). Scrub the tips with your hands to get rid of any dirt. Dry the asparagus thoroughly.
- Slice off (or break) the woody ends of the asparagus. If you hold the asparagus stalk between your hands and slightly bend, it'll break off at the right point!
- Roll out a long sheet of aluminum foil. Place your asparagus on the sheet. Toss with two tablespoons of avocado oil, a teaspoon of salt, and half a teaspoon of black pepper. Use your hands to coat the asparagus well. Then, place another sheet of aluminum foil on top and fold in the edges to create a "foil packet"
- Place this foil packet on the grill and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Perfect, grilled asparagus is ready for all your summer BBQ needs! Squeeze some fresh lemon juice and zest some lemon and enjoy!
- Adjust seasoning: This recipe uses basic seasoning but you can add garlic or garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, thyme, rosemary and dill if you wish.
Leave a Reply