These microwave scrambled eggs are perfect for busy mornings. They're quick, easy, fluffy and flavorful and cooked in less than three minutes! I use this recipe at least twice a week, and have many tips for achieving perfect fluffy, creamy texture and many topping ideas so you'll never get bored.
This post contains helpful tips and tricks! If you're in a rush, please use the "Jump to Recipe" below!
This post might contain affiliate links. If you click on those and make a purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
💭 Why you'll love this recipe
- Fast and minimal prep or cleaning. No need to heat up a pan or clean up afterwards! These microwave scrambled eggs take less than five minutes to prep and cook.
- Perfect texture. This recipe results in the perfect fluffy eggs every time.
- Healthy breakfast. Have a healthy and delicious breakfast that's packed with protein and nutrients on the way to work or school.
📋 Ingredients and notes
To make microwave scrambled eggs, you'll need eggs, milk, butter, salt, and black pepper.
Notes and variations
- Microwave wattage. Microwaves can vary in power, so you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly based on your microwave's wattage and the desired consistency of your eggs. Be sure to watch the eggs closely while microwaving to prevent overcooking.
- Eggs. I used two eggs for this recipe, add an extra 30 seconds for each additional egg that you use. If you are vegan, you can swap this with Just Egg or a similar egg replacement. You can also make a mung egg at home!
- Milk. I used whole milk, but you can also use plant-based alternatives such as unsweetened almond milk or oat milk. To achieve a thicker, creamier texture, use half-and-half or heavy cream.
- Play with seasoning. Add your favorite seasoning - my favorites are garlic powder, red pepper flakes, basil, or ranch seasoning! You can also top with cheddar cheese, goat cheese, or parmesan and finish with scallions.
📖 How to make microwave scrambled eggs
Crack the eggs into a microwave-safe bowl. You can also use a mug if easier.
Add the milk, salt, and pepper to the bowl and whisk the mixture together until well combined. Beat the eggs well to ensure a uniform consistency.
Add the butter or cooking spray to the bowl and stir it into the egg mixture.
Microwave the egg mixture for 30 seconds on high power to melt butter.
Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the eggs with a fork.
Place the bowl back in the microwave and cook for another 30 seconds on high power. Repeat this step two more times.
Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the eggs again. They should be fully cooked and scrambled at this point, but if they need more time, microwave for an additional 10-20 second increments.
Serve hot, season, and enjoy.
👩🏽🍳 Tips to make the microwave scrambled eggs
These are time-tested tips to make the fluffiest, creamiest scrambled eggs.
- Beat the eggs thoroughly. For the best flavor and fluffy texture, make sure to whisk eggs and mix the scrambled mixture thoroughly until there are no visible pieces of the egg white or yolk.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl or a ramekin where you can easily stir the scrambled eggs without making a mess. You want something that's not too shallow, or you can also use a regular microwave-safe mug.
- Only add black pepper when you are done cooking; otherwise, your microwaved eggs might look slightly gray or discolored.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap with a little steam vent and remove it halfway through the cooking process to help retain moisture and prevent the eggs from becoming too dry.
- 30-second intervals. Check and stir the eggs every 30 seconds to achieve the doneness that you like. Some like their scrambled eggs a little moist and undercooked, while some like them fully cooked. Check every 30 seconds to avoid overcooking and so that you can choose to have them how you like!
👩🏽🍳 Troubleshooting FAQs
Yes, it is completely safe to microwave eggs. They will be cooked thoroughly in the microwave just like when cooking on a stovetop.
Some popular options are shredded cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, asparagus, chives, jalapenos, fresh herbs, and other seasonings of your choice. Add black pepper after cooking the eggs!
You might be overcooking your eggs in the microwave. Try to reduce the cooking time and slightly undercook the eggs since they continue to cook even after being taken out of the microwave. Another thing you can do is add 1-2 tablespoons more milk to your scrambled eggs.
Absolutely! While this recipe is for a single serving, you can definitely double it. Make sure to use a bigger microwave-safe container and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
🍴 What to eat with microwave scrambled eggs
Microwave scrambled eggs are best served right after cooking, while still hot. Serve them for breakfast with toast or bagels with tomatoes or avocado slices!
You can either eat the scrambled eggs as-is, or you can serve them with:
- Toast: Pair your eggs with toasted bread, bagels, or English muffins for a classic breakfast combo.
- Fresh fruit: Sliced berries, melon, or a banana adds a refreshing touch.
- Sautéed vegetables: Serve your eggs with sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach, or tomatoes for extra flavor and nutrition.
- Avocado: Sliced or mashed avocado is a creamy and healthy complement to scrambled eggs. Check out this post on avocado toast toppings for some great ideas
- Hash browns or home fries: Crispy potato sides work well with eggs for a hearty breakfast.
- Yogurt: A small bowl of yogurt with honey or granola can add a creamy and sweet element to your meal.
- Salsa: Top your scrambled eggs with salsa for a zesty kick.
🥚 More Egg Recipes
For more easy egg recipes for breakfast, try some of these:
- Moroccan shakshuka or a healthier, green shakshuka with spinach
- Simple frittata (make it on stovetop or bake it!)
- Scrambled eggs with goat cheese (stovetop)
- Microwave hard boiled eggs
- Korean Gilgeori toast
- Bombay toast (aka savory Indian French toast)
Did you make this recipe?! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Please leave a comment and a star rating and let me know how it went! We love hearing from you, thank you so much
Microwave Scrambled Eggs
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, adjust to taste
- Crack the eggs into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the milk, salt, and pepper to the bowl and whisk the mixture together until well combined.
- Add the butter or cooking spray to the bowl and stir it into the egg mixture
- Microwave the egg mixture for 30 seconds on high power.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the eggs with a fork.
- Place the bowl back in the microwave and cook for another 30 seconds on high power. Repeat this step two more times.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the eggs again. They should be fully cooked and scrambled at this point, but if they need more time, microwave for an additional 10-20 seconds.
- Serve hot, season and enjoy.
- Whisk thoroughly: Beat the eggs well in a microwave-safe bowl to ensure a uniform consistency. Add a splash of milk for creaminess and continue whisking.
- Low and slow: Microwave the eggs on low power, if possible, in short 15-20 second bursts, stirring between each burst. But this is truly optional!
- Don't overcook: Stop microwaving just before the eggs are fully set, as they'll continue to cook from their residual heat. This prevents dry and rubbery eggs.
- Add dairy or cheese: To enhance creaminess, incorporate a small amount of cream, milk, or cheese into the eggs before microwaving, ensuring a velvety texture.