This simple 3-ingredient broccoli cheese casserole is ready in less than 30 minutes! Broccoli, cheddar cheese, and cream of mushroom soup come together for a delicious, nutritious, and comforting dish that the whole family will love. It can't get easier than that!
This post contains helpful tips and tricks! If you're in a rush, please use the "Jump to Recipe" below!
💭 Why you'll love this recipe
- Ready in less than 30 minutes. Perfect for busy days.
- Great way to sneak nutrients into your family's diet, as this dish is loaded with fiber, vitamins, and protein.
- Vegetarian, low carb, and keto-friendly!
📋 Ingredients and notes
You'll only need three ingredients to make this easy broccoli casserole recipe: fresh broccoli florets, a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, and grated cheddar cheese!
Variations & Substitutions
- Broccoli florets. I recommend using fresh broccoli florets since they have a richer flavor, firmer texture, and less moisture than frozen ones. If using frozen broccoli florets, dry with a paper towel after steaming to remove excess moisture.
- Cream of mushroom soup. I used a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup for this recipe, but if you're not a fan of mushroom, cream of broccoli, cream of celery, or even coconut milk can be used instead.
- Cheddar cheese. The best cheese for this recipe is sharp cheddar cheese. But as an alternative, you can use Colby Jack, Gruyere, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella for a creamy cheese sauce. You can also use vegan cheese alternatives.
- Season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder as desired!
📖 How to make broccoli cheese casserole recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or spray a square baking dish (8 inch) with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
Wash and add the broccoli to a microwave-safe bowl and pour ¼ cup of water to the bowl (check out more tips on how to make microwave broccoli)
Microwave the broccoli for 3-4 minutes until it becomes crisp-tender. Drain the broccoli by placing it in a colander.
Transfer the broccoli to a prepared baking dish. Pour the cream of mushroom soup over the broccoli. Toss and stir to coat if desired.
Top the broccoli mixture with cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese melts and becomes lightly golden brown.
👩🏽🍳 Tips for the best broccoli cheese casserole
Making this 3-ingredient broccoli cheese casserole is a piece of cake, but make sure to follow these tips to make them perfect each time!
⭐ Be careful to not overcook the broccoli, as it will continue to cook during the casserole baking. Check the consistency with a fork every minute to make sure they are tender but still firm and crisp.
- After steaming the florets, place them in an ice bath to quickly cool them to stop them from continuing to cook. This will prevent them from becoming too soft or soggy in the casserole, and help preserve the color.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs or crushed ritz crackers on top before baking for a nice crunch.
- Mix cheddar with other cheeses like Gruyere for a nuanced flavor profile.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs like parsley or chives to your casserole right before serving.
👩🏽🍳 Troubleshooting FAQs
Using fresh broccoli is better when making casserole because it contains less moisture than frozen broccoli and just has an overall better texture and fresher flavor. Frozen broccoli has a tendency to become too mushy when baked.
Yes, you can make this casserole dish ahead of time! Assemble the casserole, wrap it in cling wrap, and refrigerate for up to two days or until ready to bake and serve.
Excess water from not properly draining the cooked broccoli can make the casserole watery. Ensure that the broccoli is thoroughly drained before adding it to the casserole. Overcooking the broccoli can also cause it to release more water. Cook the broccoli until it's just tender, not mushy.
Use a cheese that melts well, such as cheddar or a blend designed for casseroles. Grate the cheese yourself instead of using pre-shredded cheese, which often has anti-caking agents that affect melting. Add the cheese gradually and stir continuously for even melting.
🍴 How to serve this easy broccoli casserole
While this broccoli cheese casserole is delicious on its own as a main dish, there's definitely a wide variety of dishes that go well with it too! Here are some of our favorites:
- Garlic bread, breadsticks, and other crusty breads
- French fries, potato wedges, and even mashed potatoes
- Roasted vegetable salad, or individual vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and carrots
🍴Storage and reheating suggestions
To store leftover broccoli cheese casserole, transfer them to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to four days.
To freeze, store in a freezer bag and freeze for up to three months.
When it's time to reheat, simply place in a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until completely heated through.
🍴 More comforting casserole recipes
If you like this recipe, check out my other delicious casserole recipes:
3 Ingredient Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 1 lb fresh broccoli florets
- 10.5 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease or spray a square baking dish (8 inch) with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Wash and add the broccoli to a microwave-safe bowl and pour ¼ cup of water to the bowl.
- Microwave the broccoli for 3-4 minutes until it becomes crisp-tender. Drain the broccoli by placing it in a colander.
- Transfer the broccoli to a prepared baking dish. Pour the cream of mushroom soup over the broccoli. Toss to coat if desired.
- Top the broccoli mixture with cheddar cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown.
- Cooking the broccoli in the microwave: Be careful to not overcook the broccoli, as it will continue to cook during the casserole baking. Check the consistency with a fork every minute to make sure they are tender but still firm and crisp.