I've always loved creamy dressings and avocados are a perfect way to achieve that. This creamy avocado lime ranch dressing brings together the perfect blend of creaminess, sour and salty notes, and can be a great dip or dressing for salads, tacos, and everything else!
This post contains helpful tips and tricks! If you're in a rush, please use the "Jump to Recipe" below!
💭 Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy, creamy, homemade dressing. Enough said! But seriously, if you've loved the avocado lime ranch dressing at Chick Fil-A, this recipe is going to be great for you!
- Comes together in 15 minutes. Super easy to whip up and can be made 3 to 5 days ahead of time.
- Super customizable. You can add heat with jalapenos or chili powder for heat, you can substitute the sour cream and mayo with Greek yogurt to make it healthier. So many options!
📋 Ingredients and notes
You'll need avocado, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, sour cream, mayonnaise, fresh lime juice, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
Notes and variations
- Adjust heat. You can remove the seeds of the jalapeno or leave it out entirely if you want to tone down the heat. You can add Chipotle powder to add some more heat.
- Adjust creaminess. You can substitute the sour cream and mayonnaise with low fat sour cream or Greek yogurt for a healthier version.
- Adjust seasoning. You can add or remove garlic, and use other herbs (e.g., dill, dried parsley, oregano, and marjoram)
📖 How to make avocado lime ranch dressing
This is a super simple recipe - you basically just blend the ingredients in a food processor in stages.
- Place the avocados, garlic, jalapeno and cilantro in a food processor or blender and blend until they're well combined.
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and other seasoning and then blend to combine to the right texture. You can add a bit of water if you want to dilute.
Your avocado lime ranch dressing is ready to take over the world!
🍴 Serving and storage suggestions
You can make this dressing up to 3 to 5 days before using, and can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. If you store beyond that, the avocados tend to brown.
Wondering where to use this avocado lime ranch dressing?
- Add it to your tacos (for instance, my fried avocado taco typically uses a a vegan poblano sauce, but jazz it up with this dressing instead!)
- Use as a creamy salad dressing alternative (like this Brussels Sprouts Caesar or this mango avocado salad)
- Use as a dipping sauce (tastes great as a dip for these crispy garlic smashed potatoes, or these samosas!)
If you like this recipe, try my other sauce and dip recipes:
Avocado Lime Ranch Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, can remove seeds for milder version
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream, substitute vegan yogurt for lighter version
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, vegan, olive-oil based
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and dry the avocados. Cut into two halves, remove the pit.
- Scoop the avocado flesh out into the food processor (after removing any brown parts) along with the garlic cloves and chopped cilantro.
- If you're using jalapenos, remove the stems (and seeds for a milder flavor) and then chop them into small pieces and place them in the food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and then pulse until it's combined into a creamy texture. Your avocado cilantro lime dressing is ready!
- You can use this as a thick dressing or dip. To dilute the thickness, you can add a bit of water or buttermilk for a more rich dressing.
- Jalapeno peppers are optional but I find that they give a bit of heat and balance the creaminess of the dressing quite well. You can also add some Chipotle powder.
- This is a rich dressing. To make it healthier, substitute the sour cream and mayonnaise with equal parts Greek yogurt.
- You can store this in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week. Fresh avocados will tend to brown after that and lose its bright green color.